Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Spring Break '08...For Pets

For the past few days, I have been packing to prepare for my Spring Break trip to Mexico. So far, things have been going smoothly...except for the fact that Cali, my cat, has named my suitcase her new bed. I won't be taking her, but I will have enough cat hair in my suitcase that I'll be able to build a new cat.

I am sure, however, that I am not the first pet owner to experience a pet's dismay when you pack to leave. Most pets just become extremely affectionate but some pets suffer from separation anxiety.

Luckily for pet owners, pets have more options than just staying at home or going to a kennel. Now pets can stay at their very own hotels.

PetSmart has created the PetSmart PetHotel which offers kennels that aren't just metal and concrete. Dogs have a play area and cats have a plethora of feather toys to entertain them.

If your pet needs a more luxurious stay, hotels like The Barkley Pet Hotel & Day Spa offer accommodations that humans would be jealous of. There is a park area with private kennels or the executive kennels located poolside (shown at left). Cats have Kitty City where they can watch tropical fish and birds from their rooms.

Another convenience is hotels located near the airport to allow pet owners to drop their pets off at a stylish pet hotel without missing their flight or going out of their way. USAToday.com has reported on these hotels, explaining that only a few cities have pet hotels near airport but cities like Denver are looking to build their own.

So, before you leave for Spring Break, check for a pet hotel near you so your pet can enjoy the relaxation that you're enjoying.

(Photo courtesy of thebarkleypethotel.com)

No comments: