Monday, March 31, 2008

Pet Seeks Owner

As you may know from one of my previous posts, I believe that rescuing a pet is pretty much the only way to go. I decided to expand on that topic today and talk about some of the options you have if you're interested in adopting a new pet.
  • Since I'm writing this blog in Fort Collins, Colo., I think it is only fitting to start out with our local animal shelter. The Larimer County Humane Society always has a plethorea of amazing cats and dogs available for adoption. They also have some small animals like rodents, birds, and the occasional iguana or duck.

  • March is adopt a guinea pig month so, as a shout-out to one of my favorite animals, I would like to mention Cavy Care Inc., an all-guinea pig rescue in Aurora. I have adopted guinea pigs from here before and they do a wonderful job running this out of a private residence. They really know their stuff.
  • If you're looking for a pet in Denver, the Denver Dumb Friends League is a great shelter with several locations around Denver. They always have a large selection of wonderful pets looking for homes.

  • To find other shelters across Colorado, Muttcats.com offers a list of the shelters in Colorado and what they specialize in. You are also able to search other states.

  • Finally, one of the easiest way to search for the right pet for you is through Petfinder.com. They list all animals that match your needs in a search that orders pets starting with those that are closest to you. This site also has a lot of literature to get you ready for your new pet.

(Picture courtesy of flickr.com)

1 comment:

Matt Brown said...

I've always wondered what the best route to adopting a pet was. I was just asking my girlfriend that very question not two weeks ago. Thanks for the post!