Monday, March 3, 2008

Crafty Cages

If you have ever owned a guinea pig or a rabbit, you know that a decent-sized cage to house your pet could cost anywhere from $60-$100.

However, if you know of the latest and greatest way to make your own cage, you'll only end up paying $35 or $40. These customizable cages are called cubes and coroplast cages (c&c cages). They are even easy to assemble.

All you need to make your own c&c cage are...cubes and coroplast. The cubes I keep referring to are wire cubes that can be snapped together with plastic connectors that are most often assembled to make shelving. You can find these cubes at Wal-Mart. To get the coroplast, you can head to a sign store like Fastsigns to buy a sheet. Finally, you'll need cable ties, glue and scissors.

When you put the cage together, you can make it look however you want. Need it to fit in a corner? Want it to have multiple levels with ramps? You can make your cage fit your needs:

I've used this style of cage for my guinea pigs in the past and I love it. I would imagine that this style of cage would work for rabbits, chinchillas, and hedgehogs. I wouldn't recommend it for ferrets, though, since they tend to be sneaky and would probably figure out a way to get out.

Probably the best site I've seen about c&c cages is at CavyCages.com. All the information you need to make a c&c cage is here in addition to some great photos of these cages.

Gone are the days of pet store cages that are too small. Now, our small pets will have comfortable homes.

(Picture courtesy of CavyCages.com)

1 comment:

Matt Brown said...

Damn those crafty ferrets. No matter, I'll fashion my ferret home from hardened steel. Let's see them wiggle their way out of that one.
Cool post! I love these do-it-yourself projects. Way cooler than overpaying for the same thing.