Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Beagle Makes History

Over this past week, I have to wonder if I am the only person who was disappointed in the headlines regarding the 132nd Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. If you haven't seen any of them yet they all read: "Blah blah blah Numero Uno."

I cannot say for sure who first used this headline for this story, but good for that person. It works well. So well, in fact, that every other reporter who covered this story decided to use it as well. Shame on those writers who should know that part of reporting is a fresh, catchy headline.

But enough about that issue. The real story here is that Uno, a loveable looking Beagle, won Best in Show at the WKC Dog Show. He is the first Beagle in the history of this dog show to win Best in Show.

Uno was competing against a Standard Poodle, an Akita, a Weimaraner, an Australian Shepherd, a Sealyham Terrier, and a Toy Poodle for the title. If you know anything about me, you would know that I was partial to the Australian Shepherd. To each their own, though.

Still, when it comes down to it, any of these dogs could melt your heart regardless of the winner. After Uno was announced the winner, he began jumping up and baying happily. I have never seen a dog celebrate, but I'm pretty sure that's the closest thing I'll ever see.

(Picture courtesy of Reuters)

2 comments:

Matt Brown said...

Yay for Snoopy! Wait...Snoopy was a beagle right? Either way, good him.

Anonymous said...

Wait, so the headline was "Blah blah blah numero uno"? That doesn't sound like much of a headline to me. It doesn't catch my attention at all. If anything it just tells me that the story isn't even worth scanning.